Thursday, May 17, 2012

Getting There

This summer, I'll be doing my study abroad in Israel from June 24th to August 1st. Or, at least, I plan to. Not everything's in order yet, but there's no reason I should be denied from the program. They have all my forms, so I'm just waiting to hear back and to buy my plane ticket.

My placement test was quite literally a blank form. I guessed at two questions before calling it quits.

I don't speak Hebrew. At all. Yet. That's the point, though. I'm going to go, immerse myself, and pick up as much as I can. I'm excited to finally be learning a language I can speak to other living people. I just completed two years of study in Ancient Greek, which, while I can speak to a degree, is a dead language, and "I sacrificed 5 goats to the Gods," is a less than useful sentence.

As of now, I know three letters--gimel, bet, and dalet. And I know one phrase--the title of this blog. Ba'aretz, a phrase which, I gather, means "in the land," a term used to mean in Israel. And thus, my blog title! To chronicle my adventures ba'aretz.

I'm going to Amsterdam in about a week. It will be my first time ever out of the country and second time flying, so I'm grateful for the experience before I pack up for the Holy Land. In the mean time, my Dad got me a guide book for my birthday, and I plan to devour it.

I'm going with two other Wellesley students, Jordan and Katie, thanks to a beautifully generous grant from Wellesley's Hebrew department, for which I am exceptionally grateful. It's allowed me to study abroad at all.

There's still a lot left to arrange, but now that my semester is over, I can totally focus on getting there, and I'm starting to get very excited.

2 comments:

  1. Well, you've done it. You've actually gotten me to open anything blogspot related for the first time in months. I thought you should know, because that's quite an accomplishment.

    On a second note, how could you ever characterize "I sacrificed 5 goats to the Gods," as a useless sentence? I personally would love to have such an accurate description of my weekend in multiple languages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm honored then. What? It's not so bad. And it was easiest to use with my google account already.

      And yes, Kelsey. You would. That said, εθυσα πεντα αιγας τοις θεοις.

      Delete